Williams County Public Library (WCPL) provides free Internet access points or "hot spots" at select locations of its facilities during normal library business hours for users with portable computers or devices capable of receiving wireless signals. These access points will allow users to access the Internet from their laptop computers when sitting within range of the access points.
All users are expected to use the Williams County Public Library (WCPL) wireless access in a legal and responsible manner, consistent with the educational and informational purposes for which it is provided.
- While using this wireless access, users should not violate federal, State of Ohio or local laws, including
- The transmission or receiving of child pornography or harmful material. Access to or display of obscene language and sexually explicit graphics as defined in section 2901.01 and 2907.31 of the Ohio Revised Code is not permitted.
- Fraud – Users are prohibited from misrepresenting themselves as another user; attempting to modify or gain access to files, passwords, or data belonging to others; seeking unauthorized access to any computer system, or damaging or altering software components of any network or database
- Downloading copyrighted material. U.S. copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code) prohibits the unauthorized reproduction or distribution of copyrighted materials, except as permitted by the principles of "fair use". Users may not copy or distribute electronic materials without the explicit permission of the copyright holder
By using this wireless access network at WCPL, the customer acknowledges that he ⁄she is subject to, and agrees to abide by all laws, and all rules and regulations of the State of Ohio, and the federal government that is applicable to Internet use.
Terms and Conditions of Use
- You will need a notebook/laptop computer or other device equipped with a wireless card that supports the WiFi standard (IIEE 802.11b/802.11g).
- WCPL assumes no responsibility for the safety of equipment; users must keep their equipment with them at all times and may only use electrical outlets in public areas.
- PLEASE NOTE: Printing access is not available via the wireless connection. If users need to print, they should save their work to a portable storage device (e.g. floppy disk, USB storage device) or wait to print a document on a home printer. An alternative to printing is to email files to one's email account.
- Library staff will not provide technical assistance. WCPL assumes no responsibility for laptop configurations, security or changes to data files resulting from connection to the Library's network and cannot guarantee that a user's hardware will work with the library's wireless connection.
- If a user has problems accessing the Internet over these connections, staff will not assist in making changes to the user's network settings or perform any troubleshooting on the user's own computer. Users should refer to their owner's manuals or other support services offered by their device manufacturer.
- WCPL has tried to ensure wireless access is available at select locations of its public facility areas. However, users may encounter occasional "dead spots" where wireless reception may be limited or too many users are attempting to access from a particular access point. If you have trouble accessing the Internet or staying online, please move to a different location within the library.
Wireless access is by nature an insecure medium. As with most public wireless networks, any information being sent or received over the WCPL wireless network could potentially be intercepted by another wireless user. Cautious and informed wireless users should not transmit their credit card information, passwords and any other sensitive personal information while using any wireless "hot spot".
Anyone using the wireless network provided by WCPL is forewarned that there can be no expectation of privacy when using the wireless network, whether accessed from an external or internal site. Users assume all associated risks and agree to hold harmless the WCPL and its employees for any personal information (e.g. credit card) that is compromised, or for any damage caused to users' hardware or software due to electric surges, security issues or consequences caused by viruses or hacking. All wireless access users should have up-to-date virus protection on their personal laptop computers or wireless devices.
WCPL is providing wireless connectivity in this facility as a public service and offers no guarantees or representations that any use of the wireless connection is in any way secure, or that any privacy can be protected when using this wireless connection. Use of this wireless connection is entirely at the risk of the user, and the Library is not responsible for any loss of any information that may arise from the use of the wireless connection, nor is WCPL responsible for any loss, injury, or damages resulting from the use of the wireless connection.
Approved: February 25, 2008