The Williams County Public Library is frequently asked to distribute posters, flyers, brochures and other miscellaneous announcements of community events. As part of its public service and information mission, the library does distribute materials that publicize activities of a civic, cultural, educational, or recreational nature produced by non-commercial groups located in the Tri-State area. Based on the appearance, contents, timeliness, local interest, and general suitability of the announcements, the Public Relations Coordinator or Branch Manager, operating under the delegated authority of the Director, approves the distribution and posting of such material. Unauthorized material will be discarded.
- Items announcing and promoting library programs will take precedence over other community information.
- All dated items should be removed on a timely basis. Items provided as handouts or for posting will be made available for periods no longer than four weeks.
- The Public Relations Coordinator or Branch Manager must approve all items: do not post or distribute anything without gaining prior approval. Approved items will be date stamped.
- Generally, items will be approved if they do not seek to persuade politically or religiously; if they have not been printed primarily for the purpose of soliciting members, requesting donations, raising funds or selling merchandise, except for those materials produced for the Friends of the Library, and if the poster, flyer or brochure is professionally and neatly done. All activities and events noted in the materials for distribution and display must be open to all.
- Materials from an individual or a for-profit group, company, or organization (including for-profit nursery schools and job announcements) will not be accepted for posting or distribution.
- The library distributes political campaign literature when the material contains information about all of the candidates. Materials on individual candidates are not distributed or displayed in the library.
- Each item is approved or disapproved on a case-by-case basis.
- The availability of space in a particular location of the library may of itself limit the posting of announcements and distribution of materials. Items may be refused because of their size if at the time there is no space available to distribute or display them. In general, items accepted will be no larger than 8 1/2 x 11.
- The saving of posters for later distribution to individual patrons is not permitted.
- The display and distribution of non-library materials does not constitute endorsement of the materials by the Williams County Public Library.
- Final authority for all materials displayed and distributed on library property rests with the Library Director.
Approved: August 19, 2002